Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day Seventeen

I got up this morning and headed to Big Bend National Park. I was only about four hours away. As I was driving there I finally saw all the wind farms that Amanda had just visited. They sit up on the mesas and they are FPL wind farms. I keep seeing the signs for historical markers along the side of the road so finally I decide to stop and check out one of them. Of course after seeing hundreds of signs throughout Texas the on I choose to stop at has big vandalized. They have ripped of the plaque and so it is just a big rock. I stopped at the next on which was just a sign about the mountains. Driving to the park the scenery was beautiful but nothing compared to Big Bend itself.

I entered on the north end of the park and got maps for it. I then started driving in and came across an undeveloped road so of course I had to drive it. It was a rough ride but well worth it. It took you around on the backside of the mountains in that area. I then made my way back to the main road and headed towards the lodge. I managed to get a room although they warned me that July 4th this place fills up. I then walked around the area for a little while as it was getting late. Of course this place has no internet or TV. It is in the middle of a canyon so there is also no phone reception here. I was standing next to a palm when a bird flew up and landed on it and luckily I had my camera. I don’t know what kind of bird it is but I am assuming that some one reading this will. I spent the evening burning all my pictures from this trip to DVD as a back up and this is taking awhile as you all know I have taken a lot of pictures. I also realize that I haven’t been to a zoo yet.

No comments: