Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day Four

I left Atlanta and headed towards Alabama. I decided that I could not just drive through so I stopped at the first rest stop where they have tourist info. I talked to Wanda and she suggested a museum. First I decided to take this scenic drive first.
A Wi Trail
0.0 miles I-20, Exit 191 onto US 431 South (RV parking)
3.7 miles Turn right onto 281/Skyline Drive. Go to the "T"; turn left onto Skyline Drive
6.2 miles (Scenic Overlook)
7.1 miles Side trip to Abel. Take offramp to Able and go left 1.8 miles. You will see King Gold Mine and local campgrounds on your right. Return to scenic drive to continue on trail.
11.2 miles Turn left onto Highway 49 South (Cheaha Mountain straight ahead on 281 — side trip)
16.9 miles (Nubbin Creek Walking Trail head on right)
19.4 miles Turn right onto County Road 31 South
23.8 miles Turn right onto Clairmont Springs Road, County Road 12, continue 10.7 miles
25.4 miles (High Falls Walking Trail Head and waterfall on right)
34.6 miles Turn left onto County Road 130, Idaho Road
40.6 miles Turn left onto Highway 77 South
44.0 miles Downtown Ashland and junction of Highway 77 South and Highway 9 North. Historic Courthouse Square, art gallery and shops. Continue the trail on Highway 9 to Lineville
50.5 miles Lineville (gas, food)
54.4 miles Barfield (Cole store on left)
60.2 miles Delta (gas)
67.8 miles Turn left onto 431 North, 4-way stop (gas)
69.7 miles (Side trip option: Take County Road 11 West to County Road 24 West to Abel Gap. Camping and King Gold Mine)
72.4 miles Junction of Highway 431 and Skyline Drive, Highway 281
76.5 miles 1-20 back to start of trail
They left off the part about the dirt road and I never did find the gold mine but it was very scenic.

After that I went to the museum. There were two right next to each other. The first one was a natural museum. It was a pretty funny museum with a wide selection of dioramas. They were from all over the world. Look at the pictures to see what I mean.

The second museum was the Berman Museum of World History and had three collections. The first was an Asian exhibit. The second was an old west exhibit and the third was a World War I & II exhibit. Really bizarre combination. Finally called Tim and I am going to visit him tomorrow.

1 comment:

BlogDog said...

The view is pretty, but I'm a bit terrified of the dioramas